Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fuel Dump Part 2

Let's finish up this bad boy!
Here the fuel dump has been cated in a fine sand and primed with a blak primer. I made a lot of effort to get the sand to be about the same size grain as the texture already on the scenery. I used a very fine grain intended for decorative fake flower arrangements which I picked up at a dollar store.

And here is the finished piece with some GZG 15mm NAC for size comparison. It is painted using Delta Ceramcoat craft paints. Ceramcoat paints are actually a cell vinyl paint, and except for a few colors, has excellent pigment. I use it for almost all my painting. The shed itself was basecoated with Vellejo Gunmetal and then followed the directions here for doing rust.

I am pretty sure the "apstels" refered to in the article are by Bragdon Enterprises. I happen to have a set of them that I picked up at a plastic model show something like 10 years ago. Imagine my surprise to find not only was bragdon still in business...

They are still selling the 12 color set I have for the same price I bought it for a decade ago! (FF-R12 WEATHER SYSTEM brand Small Twelve color KIT). The dry adhesive in the powder worked like a champ and I was very happy with the result!

The directions with the powders said they did not require a topcoat, but as gaming scenery gets handled much more than scale models I went with a couple coats of Testors Dullcoat.
Other than a few patches of static grass, that's it! I'm really psyched to move on to the Slumtown using the techniques I learned on this project.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Fuel Dump Part 1

At the last GZG-ECC, I won a Fuel/Supply Dump by King & Kerr (KK-007 15mm FoW Fuel/Supply Dump Objective Marker). While I don't play Flames of War, I do play a lot of 15mm SF and I thought as it was a damaged Fuel Dump it would be a nice place to practice some techniques for my next project - the SF Startown Slums by Battle Works Studios, which is my next scenery project.
One thing I wasn't so thrilled about is how thick the base is. It's over 3mm thick and I liek a gentle transition into the gaming table.

To fix this, I drilled a number of holes along the edge and glued in some wire. I made sure that the wire touched the surface of the table.

I placed everything on a sheet of wax paper and mixed up a ball of Apoxie Sculpt. The Apoxie Sculpt got mashed down over the wires and had everything smoothed out with a wet finger.

Next post I'll cover the finishing of the piece. Later!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

March in Review

Well, I got 16 NAC Ghurkas done. I tried some different techniques for these two squads. First, I went for a brader variety of skin tones. I basically have a mix of dark, medium, and light skin tones using three colors and an ink. I detail the process in a future blog. I didn't do much in the way of facial details as the slouch hats would have obscured most of it anyway.

I also decided to start indicating the squad member with the first aid pack. I originally intended to put the red cross on the shoulder but discovered that the smallest decal on the Decal Express red cross sheet were too large for a 15mm figure's arm. So I put them on their back pack. I'll go back and add the decal to the back pack of the already painted figures.

I've started working on some scenery; the King & Kerr Supply Dump I won at GZG-ECC and the Startown Slums set I picked up at GZG-ECC from Battle Works Studios. I'll post pictures shortly.

Here are my totals for March: