Saturday, June 27, 2015

What's on my Painting Table June 27, 2015

I spent a bit of time basing the 6mm Hammer's Slammers this week. As I mentioned in a previous post, my 6mm background is from way back in second edition Epic, aka Space Marine. GW provided a molded base the plastic figures popped into. A quick pass with green ground rubber flock hid all sins. So now I am on new ground (there's a pun in there somewhere!).

First attempt
The above base was made with Liquitex High Viscosity Ceramic Stucco Texture Gel Medium followed up with some Deltaceramcoat Autum Brown..

Nothing particularly special about the Liquitex Stucco (do you  mind if I skip typing out the whole title?). It has a small grain - I wanted some texture but not as pronounced as sand - and I happened to have a jar in my supply cabinet.

With this under my belt I started modifying things for the next bases. First off I mixed the Autumn Brown into the Liquitex Stucco.

Yes, I know what it looks like...
I will still paint over it, but this way chips will be less noticible.

Next I painted the bases of the figures with the Autumn Brown.


Again, easier than when painting the base. Even easier is painting the figure bases while they are still on the painting sticks. Live and learn.


I then trowels on the colored Liquitex Stucco with a cheap brush, smoothed the surface with a bit of water, and then placed a few grains of course sand as rocks.

Sorry about the focus
Here's the sand that I keep in a baby food jar. I have jars that I fill with interesting textures whenever I find them.


During this process I did have a few bases where the plastic top separated from the metal bottom.


The Gorilla Super Glue did not stand up to even minor abuse so I redid them with 20 minute epoxy.

I still need to give the bases a coat of paint, paint the rocks, and add flock. Should have those for you next week.

Latah!

No comments:

Post a Comment