Saturday, May 30, 2015

What's on My Painting Table?

Well, miracle of miracles, there is actuall something going on on my paint table!

6mm Fever!


Lately I have been a bit smitten with 6mm. It all started last summer when I was watching Ringo Simpkins' videos on YouTube. Last July he was in a a Painting Challeng and dring part of it he was painting 6mm. Here is one of the vids. Couple this with my usual gaming opponent Krimso had done up some 6mm Romans and I thought I would give it a go.

I picked up starter pack of Baccus Ancient Britons as they were historical opponents to Kromso's Romans, and they had chariots which I thought would be fun.

Baccus 6mm Ancient Britons



Once I had them in hand, I started to get a little nervous. I had not painted 6mm since the early 90s with the second iteration of GW's Epic (Then called Space Marines). Yoiks! What to do?

I watched a nmber of painting videos on you tube as well as searching the web for articles. The best advice I found was to limit my pallet.

I selected five muted colors for clothing, two colors for flesh, three for hair, two metals, and four for the sheilds. While staarting from a black primer base, I undercoated the shields in white to help them pop a little more. Once everything was painted I washed it down with a 50/50 mix of Coat d'arms black and dark brown shaders. While not one for using shaders much, I did find it was able to merge the paint job and add a shadow effect I found pleasing. 18 strip done, an unknown number to go. I am getting faster with each set of six strips I do, so that's a plus.

Continuing in the 6mm vain, Krimso and I played Hammer's Slammers: The Crucible at the GZG-ECC in 15mm and thought it would be fun to try in 6mm. We sent off an order to Jez at Old Crow (you can still get them by email from Jez!) and an order to GZG to get 6mm NAC troopers for Hammer's Slammers.


I'm starting with the infantry which require a bit of cleanup. You'll note some of the whiskers coming out of their heads.

Other Projects


Also on the table is another round of the Bluemoon 15mm Cardinal's Guard to add to my first batch discussed here.


And a piece of terrain I picked up last year at Fall In by Windsword.

Well, that's about it for now. Feels great to be painting and blogging again!

Latah!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete