Friday, June 29, 2012

There's something going wrong around here...


Ahh, Joe Jackson, gotta love him.

I have been thinking a lot about this blog lately. Perhaps it’s because I have been reading The Frontline Gamer so much, and he regularly self analyzes his blog. I know I should post more, so why don’t I? I think it’s because, unless I am reporting on an event, I strive for the absolute best I can do.  And I spend so much time trying to make a post better that posting takes forever. I guess it’s a kind of performance anxiety.

So in order to combat this, I’ve decided to start a new “feature”. Every weekend I will take some pics of whatever I have been working on and talk about it. I will just knock it out and try not to treat it like I am trying to get a Pulitzer.  I suppose at some point I’ll come up with a snappy name, but for now let’s go with “Update”.

So on to Update#1.

Several months ago I posted about the Blue Moon SF buildings. I have been working on one of them and here are some in process pics.


I’m going for the full weather beaten effect. It was base coated with some Testor’s desert tan, sponce painted with Polly-Scale concrete. The doors were painted with a tarnished steel. Everything was sealed with several coats of Testor’s Dullcote.


After I did the hair spray and salt application (type "salt weathering technique" on YouTube), I coated it with several shades of Testor’s enamel using a cheapo airbrush I picked up from Harbor Freight for about $10 (I didn’t want to gum up my good airbrushes which I shoot acrylic through). I did a little bit of dry brushing on some of the window louvers.

After if all dried I ran it under warm water and used a stiff brush to remove the salt and achieve the chipped effect. I had thought using enamel would help hold better where the salt wasn’t, but the hair spray lifted as well and I ended up with a more weather beaten effect than I planned. The black on the roof edge was an experiment; I think I will go with more of a charcoal grey. Still to do is rust spotting and an overall dusting and it should be done.

I should also note some physical mods I made to the kit. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the roof section was not quite as long as the building so I added a shim. I also put two locator strips on the underside of the roof. For the communication dish I added a small brass tube to insert into a hole at the top of the tower so that I could take it off for transport. You can see in the picture below the pewter mast is too soft and is bending where it attached to the dish. I will replace it completely with brass rod.


Well, that’s it for Update #1. I’ll see you next week (if not sooner). Please let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, not shiny! I like where this weathering is headed.

    ReplyDelete