Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Great Slippery Slope

Being like most gamers, I am sitting on a vast, ecological disaster sized pile of lead.

And yet lately I have been hungering for a new game.

Perhaps it is because for the last few years I have been focused on 15mm and now look for something in 28mm. Perhaps it's because I have been reading too many game reviews over at The Frontline Gamer. Perhaps it's because I am a total gaming slut and cannot remain loyal to just one game.

Be that as it may, I boiled things down to Freebooter's Fate and Infinity. Now while these choices could indicate Frontline's bloody fingerprints all over my decision. In all honesty, I was thinking about these games for a while and searching for reviews on them is, in fact, how I discovered that blog. So to help make the choice I threw it over to my frequent gaming buddy krimso.

Now before I get to the choice, I'd like to share a little bit of what went into the choice.

Both games have exquisite figures and are exquisitely priced ($10-14/per individual figure). But beyond the figures, you have to look at over all entry cost. I am consistently amazed at new games that come out with $50 hard back books. I live in the USA, in one of its highest populated states. Despite that, it is very hard to find opportunities to try out new games. My impression is that in the UK - well England anyway - gaming clubs are much more common and opportunities to try before you buy are higher. I often have to try new games from a "cold start" - I buy a rule book and two starter armies (so I can sucker in an opponent). In the case of Freebooter's fate this is $150 investment in a game purely based on a few reviews you read on line. I'm also interested in Carneval which is a similar proposition. This is a tough hurdle to overcome.

So the choice of new game is Infinity - they have free rules on their website to get started (full rules - not neutered "starter rule", I was able to convince krimso to give it a go so I only had to buy one starter set (which I got for $30 on ebay). Now if I like the game, I'll get the rulebook but I'll now what I'm into by then. If I don't like it, I'm not even out the $30 as I could easily use them with StarGrunt.

I really think game companies need to think about this more. If Freebooter's Fate had free rules (and didn't require unique cards to play) it might have been the game my buddy and I are getting into now.

If you're still curious, I went with Aleph -

I also got some really nice bases from Dragon Forge, their Omega Prime line....

Hey, wait a minute! Maybe this IS all Frontline's fault!

4 comments:

  1. Our little group to the east of you plays Infinity as well. We wrapped up a basic resource/ladder style campaign earlier this year. I'm sure with a little advanced planning I could help you guys get the rules under control as well as offer a table top full of terrain if you and Krimso are interested. Infinity isn't particularly complicated mechanically, but it does have a few tricky bits. I recommend the tutorial videos Corvus Belli put out on youtube. They are quite helpful when reviewed alongside the rules: http://www.youtube.com/user/CorvusBelliSLL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea on both counts. We'll let you know as soon as the figs are assembled and painted. Should be by the end of the decade, but don't hold me to it!

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out that tutorial. I will speak for Connell in saying that we would love to plan a play-date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you have my info and with a week or more of notice, just about any evening should be possible.

      Delete